44 Watlington Street
If you want to learn more about the Trust or who uses the building, or perhaps have a tour of the premises, in the first instance for all matters please speak with our Buildings Manager: This includes for Hall HIre, Car Parking and general use of the building.
In 1929 The Watlington House Management Committee was formed along with the above words to promote the services available within the community and to this day we are still very much keeping to this by helping those Charities and local community groups exist and thrive.
The building itself dates back to 1500 and the main section of the building was built by Samuel Watlington in 1688, the Watlington family occpuied the house for around 100 years, from then it had numerous uses, one being the first home for Kendrick School for 50 years.
Watlington House is a 17th century building, with a large walled garden, in the town of Reading in the English county of Berkshire. The building is brick built and is reputed to be the oldest surviving secular building in the town. It is a listed building, being listed grade II*.
The western or rear part of the building was built in 1688 for Samuel and Anne Watlington, whilst the eastern part, fronting onto Watlington Street, is said to date from 1763. Samuel Watlington served as mayor of Reading in 1695 and again in 1711.
The first recorded occupant of the house was Captain Edward Purvis in 1794, renting the house for £25 annually. He fought at the Battle of Corunna in the Peninsular War with the 4th Regiment of Foot and trained the Berkshire Militia in Orts meadow near his home. The house is rumoured to be haunted by his ghost. After Captain Purvis, the house was variously occupied by a Mrs Stevens and then used as an office by the town clerk of Reading.
In 1877 the house became the first home of the newly founded Kendrick Girls School. The school remained on the site until 1927, when they moved to their current location on the corner of Sidmouth Street and London Road. During their stay they erected a corrugated iron hall in the garden, which still stands.
Since 1931, the building has been owned by local trustees. They provide accommodation for social and educational organisations, using the rents for the upkeep of Watlington House
Today Watlington House exists to serve other Charities, by that we mean that other Charities and local Community groups can make full use of our facilities, this could be renting office space or using the hall in the rear garden. The building itself is owned by no one and this has been set in trust and is therefore preserved forever. The building is protected by the Grade II* status and being in trust means no one can profit directly from the building, any money we do receive is placed back into the building or hall that we must maintain if people are to use these.
In the grounds of Watlington House is a large Community Hall that can be hired for events, to know more regarding availability then call Michael Jones on; 07583 527395
The Hall comes with the following,
Full use of the Kitchen Facilities, cooker, microwave etc
Seating for 60 to 80 people
Free onsite parking for around 30 vehicles
Marquee (6 x 3 metres) available
Tables available free of charge
Fully enclosed and secure garden